Saturday, August 18, 2012

DIY Silver Platter Chalkboard

Recently I tried using chalkboard paint for the first time and I found it very easy and creative. I have seen many DIY projects using chalkboard paint on walls and wood surfaces but I wanted to try something new. Without really knowing what I was looking for I headed to the nearest goodwill to either find a wooden box of some sort or just a flat surface to experiment on. As I was walking down one of the aisles this fabulous silver platter caught my eye and I knew just what to do with it. So I purchased this bargain for only $3.00 and started my project!


Here is all you need for a DIY silver platter chalkboard:

  • Silver platter of your choice
  • 1 container of chalkboard paint (a little goes a long way)
  • Paintbrushes, Tape
  • 1 can white spray paint
The first step is to tape off the edges so you don't accidentally spray the sides so you have a nice clean silver border.

After you tape the edges your can begin spray painting the middle so your chalkboard paint will bond to the metal. I did two light coats and then let it dry for about 20 minutes.

After your spray paint dries you can peel the tape off slowly and you'll have a nice clean edge.

I took the tape off before I did the chalkboard paint layer because I wanted to be sure to cover all the white by slowly hand painting it but you can do it either way. After the spray paint has dried your ready to apply the chalkboard paint! I would recommend doing about three layers to make sure there's a nice thick coat on there. 

And viola! You're now the proud owner of a chalkboard silver platter! The directions say to wait a full 24 hours to write on the board so the paint can set. So the next day i wrote a note to myself and put it in my kitchen!
This project is simple and very affordable. Overall I spent around 10 dollars on everything and had a great time being creative and enjoyed making my own chalkboard that is really helpful in my busy life!

-Posted by Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment