Monday, May 13, 2013

Simple Suppers - Mushroom and Red Onion Pizza



I love pizza. I know lots of us do, but I also know it's so easy to call for a pizza, that not too many people make their pizzas from scratch.

It's actually pretty easy, and I love being able to choose my toppings, and exactly how much of each topping I want. I am calling this a Mushroom and Red Onion Pizza, but it also has a layer of spinach on it. It gives the pizza an extra healthy boost, and I don't even taste the spinach. I know some people don't like spinach, so this is a great way to sneak it on a pizza, especially for kids.
The pizza dough recipe is for a whole wheat crust. It's easy, great tasting, and can also be frozen for later use. I usually put some kind of meat on my pizza, but this time I didn't, and I honestly didn't even miss it.



I love making my pizza healthy with a whole wheat crust. I think it's fun kneading the dough, and kids really enjoy helping out to knead it, too. Pizza making is a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen and I love having my grandsons cook with me.



Healthy and delicious ingredients. I usually make a white sauce, but this time I used already made Ranch dip from the grocery store. Because it was a dip, it was thicker that Ranch dressing, and it tasted great, and was super simple.




Recipe for Mushroom and Red Onion Pizza

Ingredients for Whole Wheat Pizza Dough:

1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Combine the water, yeast, and all purpose flour in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the whole wheat flour, oil, and salt. With your hands, or a large wooden spoon, work the ingredients together until the dough holds its shape.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. If the dough becomes sticky while you are kneading it, sprinkle a little all purpose flour over it.
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled, large bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel, and let the dough rest until it has doubled in size, for 1 hour. After the dough has risen, place it on a lightly floured surface and divide it in to 2 parts. Shape the dough into balls, cover them with a kitchen towel, and let rest for 20 minutes. The dough is then ready for use. This will make 2 pizzas.


Pizza Sauce and Topping:

1/2 cup Ranch Dip
1 cup Mozzarella cheese
1 large red onion, lightly sautéed
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup sliced mushrooms

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread Ranch Dip evenly over pizza dough. Put an even layer of spinach over ranch Dip, followed by the mushrooms and red onions. Sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese on top.
Bake for about 20 minutes.




1 comment: