Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Making Cheesy Whole Wheat Dog Treats



Dare I admit that I have never really been a dog person? I know many people love their dogs like they might love their own children, but I have never been one of those people.

When you are raising five children, the amount of pee, poop, and vomit you deal with is no small amount. And I just never wanted to deal with that when it came to adding a dog to the family.

But that changed when a certain dog came into my life. A dog I like so much (ok, love) that I actually bake dog treats for him. Go figure.




This is our sweet Chewie. The guy really lives up to him name too. He has been know to destroy everything from a fabulous pair of new high-heels, to a complete set of wooden toy blocks.

But he is always forgiven, of course. Just look at that face.





I whipped up this batch of easy cheesy dog treats for Chewie, and he loved them. They look especially cute when you use a bone shaped cookie-cutter, and it's an easy shape for your dog to eat.




These treats are great to give as gifts too, around the holidays, to the dog and dog-lover in your life.
I guarantee the pups will gobble them up.


Recipe for Cheesy Whole Wheat Dog Treats

Ingredients:

3 cups whole wheat flour
11/2 cups cheddar cheese
1 egg
1 cup water or beef broth

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place flour in medium bowl, add cheese, egg, and water or broth. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Roll out dough on floured surface to about 3/8 of an inch thick.
Use cookie cutter to cut shapes. Place them on a foil lined cookie sheet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until firm.

Makes about 2 dozen treats, depending on cookie-cutter size.





2 comments:

  1. Oh Chewie, he looks so cute! These are a great recipe, he ate them right up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these for my dog, Louie, they are very easy plus I had all the ingredients on hand, he is waiting for them to cool now and sends his sincere thank you. This is the first time making homemade treats, I became concerned when upon opening the bag I had purchased there was a strong chemical smell, not the fake bacon smell I expected, To be honest Louie didn't mind, but I did. I feel much better about giving a healthy treat.

    ReplyDelete