Thursday, September 13, 2012

Champions for Kids Big Book Drive Donation #NickCFK





The September Champions for Kids Simple Service Project is all about children and books. The Nickelodeon Big Book Drive Help Them Read Simple Service Project asks all of us to participate in hosting book drives in our communities to help provide books to children in need.

As a parent of five grown children, I know how important it is to have books available at home for your kids to read, or be read to. Parents reading to their children is usually the first introduction to books that kids have, and it can start a love of books and reading that can last a lifetime.

But 61% of low-income children have no books at home, and that fact is something Champions for Kids and the Nickelodeon Big Help Book Drive is trying to change. Reading is so important to a child's life in school, and lack of reading ability is one of the main reasons that teenagers drop out of school.




I participated in the Big Help Book Drive by hosting one of my own. I asked my family, friends and neighbors to donate new or gently used books so that we could donate them in the community.

 My grandson is lucky enough to have many, many books of his own. He often gets books as Christmas and Birthday presents. When I explained to him that some kids don't have any books of their own, he wanted to give some of his books to donate.



I had gone to Walmart and bought some Nickelodeon books to get my donation drive started. These are all the books that I gathered for my donation. I am so happy that these books will go to children that can take them home and have them read by a parent, or can read the books themselves. #NickCFK




I have decided to make my donation to the Kingston Food Bank. I truly believe in this organization, which is a community treasure, and is really much more than a food bank. Donating the books here will put them directly into the hands of local children in need.

Director Barb Fulton runs this organization that her own parents started 55 years ago. Barb and her volunteers serve over 100 families a month. In addition to supplying food to the families, clothing, diapers, pet food, and other household items are available. When I spoke to one of the volunteers at the food bank, I was told the books would be very welcomed, and given to kids to take home.

When parents are having trouble putting food on the table, there is no money for books, so I know that these books will go to low-income children that will truly benefit by having them.



The food bank had very few books, so I was extra excited to make this contribution to them. It is so easy, and feels so great to put together your own book drive. I found that people really do want to help out, especially when it comes to helping children.

You can participate in The Nickelodeon Big Help Book Drive by asking friends, family, and co-workers to donate books. You can also learn all about Champions for Kids and it's Simple Service Projects by going to their website for all the information.



My grandson knows what the word "donate" means, and I think that's one of the most important words he will ever learn. He came with me to make our donation, and carried stacks of the books inside himself.

When I think of the children that will be reading the books we have donated, I know we are making a difference. I encourage everyone to help make a difference in your own community by participating in this Nickelodeon Big Book Drive Help Them Read Simple Service Project, and reporting it on the Champions for Kids website. You can also be one of millions to help Champions for Kids meet their goal of helping 20 million people by 2020.

I would like to thank my family, friends, and neighbors for contributing books for this donation. I would also like to thank the Kingston Food Bank for all you do for the community. You can read my first blog post here to learn more about how you can help make a difference in the lives of children in your neighborhood by participating in a Simple Service Project.

 


Go HERE to the Champions For Kids website to learn all about the Nickelodeon Big Book Drive Help Them Read  project.
             .
You can learn more about Champions for Kids and Nickelodeon by following them:
Champions for Kids Twitter
Champions for Kids Facebook
Nickelodeon Twitter
Nickelodeon Facebook

You can read my Google+ Story to see my shopping trip to Walmart for Nickelodeon Books for my Big Help Book Drive.



*I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Champions for Kids. #NickCFK #CBias All opinions expressed in this post are my own.

3 comments:

  1. I spied the Very Hungry Caterpillar in there, too! Of course lots of Dora, which my kids love. Great job with your donation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome that you have taught your grandson the importance of giving to others! Such an amazing blog and great Big Help Book Drive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is awesome! You are making a difference in your community and in your grandson's life. I love that these books are going to kids that so desperately need them.

    ReplyDelete